New Nanney Followers

On March 1, Howard D. Bradshaw added this comment to the prologues: I just found nannau.com online and the connection to your website. My mother Dorothy Dalton Nanney Bradshaw was daughter of Harrison Reid Nanney, originally from Union Mills and son of Asbury Nanney. Harrison married Clara Belle Dalton from Gilkey and they moved to Erwin, TN in 1917 where he took a job as Locomotive Engineer with the Clinchfield RR, retiring with 42 years service. My uncle Grover Nanney, born in Rutherfordton, also worked as a Locomotive Engineer and retired from the Clinchfield RR with 40 years service….he made runs to Bostic occasionally and would borrow an automobile, driving to Rutherfordton to visit his first cousin Woodrow Jones. I didn’t realize until reading your research that Col. Amos Nanney was first cousin to my great-great grandfather William Nanney…..they served together in Co G, 50th NC Regt.

On March 13, Kristen Elise Nanney posted this in Chapter 17: I find all this very interesting. I was born Kristen Elise Nanney in 1979. My father is Ronald Gene Nanney born in 1954 and his father was Jerry Lee Nanney unknown dob and, his father was Charlie Cleveland Nanney. I’ve only just begun my search and everything I find intrigues me.

If any of you want to correspond you can add to their comments.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Nanney Saga and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to New Nanney Followers

1. Karen Green says:

I just ran across the “Nanney Saga” and information re Nanneytown on a facebook site and am sooo interested in learning more!!! My mother was just talking to me about a place called Nanneytown and I had never heard of it. I was born in Rutherford County and my grandmother was Rosa Lee Nanney Hardin so, wow, I am so interested in any information on the family! Please if you would, direct me to any information to get me looking in the right place to learn more about “my family”, the Nanneys! Thank you to whomever receives this reply and to anyone who can reply to my search. Karen Elaine Greene Green (yes, born Greene and married Green) karenkg77@yahoo.com or on facebook please

• georgia ruth says:

Hi Karen! We are happy you found this avenue to meet your big family in McDowell and Rutherford counties of North Carolina. Nanneytown is near Union Mills in northern Rutherford county. Every August, there is a reunion in this area, a chance to meet your family. I will advise you of this date although I am not a relative, just an interested neighbor. Welcome to the ranks if you want to follow along. I am investigating nearby Dysartsville next where Ruby Nanney Anglin lives. (Wade Nanney’s sister and Mary Glen’s cousin.)

2. Lloyd Nanney says:

The Nanney Clan Reunion is held the 3rd Sunday in August of each year. Round Hill Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, Hudlow Road, Union Mills, NC 28167.

• georgia ruth says:

Thanks, Lloyd. Hope I can get there this year.

• Karen Green says:

Hello Lloyd Nanney, Just ran across your reply to Georgia Ruth and again I am so curious about my grandmother, Rosa Lee Nanney Hardin, and her large family. She had an older sister called Tiny, who had a daughter name Gladys who was a Ware from GA. Gladys Ware who was a very close friend forever with my grandmother, Rose, who came every year so she could to the Nanney reunions in Union Mills and many times with her daughter, Lenora Danner. She always looked forward to these yearly visits from Gladys and Lenora and many times would return to GA with them for good long visit. So many good memories here… Do you recognize any of these ladies from my Nanney family?? I think Gladys’ mother and father were Keeter’s also buried at Round Hill. Please reply if you can, I look forward to it sooo much. Karen Greene Green (yes, born Greene and married Green, lol always a green. lol Thank you.

• georgia ruth says:

Hi Karen, On the top right side of the first page of my blog (under Notes) I put up announcements like Nanney Reunion. So sorry you must have missed it. The good news is there will be another one this year. Hope to see you there.

• Karen Green says:

3. John Harris says:

Hello all, just to leave my 2 cents, my G Grandmother was born Lacie Jurries Nanney (1900-198?) daughter of William Nanney (1871-1955) and Samantha Maria Harris Nanney ((1867-1950). Being descendant a of Shadrack Nanney, I ventured off some 30 years ago to find Shadracks burial site. I then found it off of Hwy 221 in Bucket Hill cemetery. Then it was severely grown over with brush. I returned yesterday to find it had been cleaned. It was much more accessible. I love family history, no matter how many branches the family tree sprouts. G Grandma Lacie married Samuel Collins born 1890 and they settled in Marion NC where my grandparents and mother where born. Family still resides there and I travel 221 from Spartanburg SC frequently, as I have since I was a child.. I did not know anything about the Thermal City Gold Mine being owned by a Nanney and look forward to stopping on my next trip up.

• georgia ruth says:

Hello John, thank you for taking a minute to connect here. I envy the easy way in which you Nanneys are able to reach out and find your relatives. Lloyd Nanney at Thermal City Gold Mine will be happy to talk to you. Ask him about the next Nanney Reunion in August, and he’ll get your name on the guest list.